Campus Buildings Directory
The 11,200-square-foot, brick building houses the offices of the Department of Film and Media Studies, a soundstage, sound- and film-editing suites, screening rooms and classrooms.
The building, opened in 1955, was commissioned by KU alumni Russell Mosser and Art Wolf, founders in 1947 of Centron Corp., a leading industrial and educational film studio in Lawrence. It was designed by KU architect Verner Smith. Mosser and Wolf sold the studio in 1981, and Centron had dissolved by 1990.
In February 1991, Charles Oldfather (1920-96), professor of law (1950-74) and a notable amateur musician and actor, and his wife, Hortense Oldfather, donated $500,000 to help KU Endowment purchase the building, which was renamed in Charles Oldfather’s honor.
1815 Naismith Drive 66045
660 men and women
Opened in 1966 as a freshman womenís hall, it is named for the first chancellor, R.W. Oliver, in honor of the universityís centennial. It now houses 660 men and women, coed by wing, in two-person rooms. It has a dining center commons.
(Naismith Hall, across the street east of Oliver, is a private residence hall for men and women.)